To say we are obsessed with Thai food might be a mild understatement. I purchased a whole tub of Thai green curry paste to make a few dishes and now I am always on the hunt for recipes using green curry.
When I came across this meatball recipe at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, I just knew we would love it.
Some of our friends called to invite us out to dinner after I had already prepared these meatballs. Knowing they are kind of picky, my husband tricked them into eating at our house by telling them I made turkey meatballs for dinner. He knew if he told them Thai Green Curry Meatballs they wouldn’t come over.
But they did come over and enjoy them and my overcooked brown rice.
When making turkey meatballs or burgers I always use lean turkey breast. If you just buy regular ground turkey and check out the fat and calories you will see it’s not all that different from lean ground beef. So yes, ground turkey breast is usually significantly more money than regular ground turkey, but I think it’s worth it.
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup old fashion oats
- 2 tablespoons fat free milk
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- For sauce:
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1½ tablesoon green curry paste
- juice from ½ lime
- In a large bowl combine eggs, oats, and milk. Mix together thoroughly and let stand 5 minutes. Add turkey, ginger, curry, fish sauce, sugar, cilantro, salt, garlic, and onion. Mix to combine.
- Shape meatballs (I use a 1½ tablespoon +cookie scoop) and working in batches brown 1-2 minutes per side in a large skillet with coconut oil. Remove to plate and brown the rest of the meatballs. Once they are all browned, add coconut milk and green curry paste, mixing well. Add meatballs back to skillet and simmer 10 minutes, flipping once, until they are cooked through. Stir in lime juice.
Approx cost per serving: $2.38