I love a good homemade mac and cheese. Recently I have been using a new secret weapon to make it extra creamy. If you know me at all the secret ingredient probably won’t come as much of a shock to you.
My secret ingredients is….
I already put that stuff on almost everything, use it in place of sour cream, and now use it any time I’m making mac and cheese.
It gives the mac and cheese so much extra creaminess without loading it down with cheese. It keeps the flavor somewhat tart and balances out all of the saltiness.
Roasted poblanos just sounded like an excellent addition to mac and cheese. I like to buy peppers on sale and roast a bunch at a time. Then you can store them individually in the freezer until you need them. I could find a reason to add roasted peppers to almost any meal. But if you are looking to save a few minutes and wanted to skip roasting your own peppers you could buy the 4oz can of diced green chilies and add about half the can or the whole can if you like spice. My philosophy with cooking is to add more of what you like, well unless it’s really not good for you then you probably shouldn’t, but peppers are good, bring them on!
- 2 poblano peppers
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ¾ cup milk, warmed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8oz short noodle pasta (such as rotini, penne or elbow)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast peppers on a foil lined baking sheet for 3-5 minutes per side, turning once. Remove from oven put in a ziploc bag and allow to steam for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Once they are cool remove skin and seeds, chop into bite size pieces and set aside.
- While peppers are cooking, prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 1½ qt baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, whisk in flour and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in warmed milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to cook until mixture is thick and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in nutmeg and pepper. Add cheese and stir to melt. Add roasted peppers. Mix together cheese sauce, Greek yogurt, and pasta. Transfer to baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium bowl, stir in breadcrumbs, mix until combined. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake until browned, about 30 minutes.