Continuing on with holiday appetizers, these are the little meatballs that you know you love. I have seen them made with grape jelly and ketchup a hundred times, but changed up a bit and made more festive with cranberry sauce. I know Thanksgiving week I said I wasn’t a fan of the jellied cranberry sauce, but I make exceptions when it comes to meatballs.
The chili sauce can be found next to the ketchup and is not Thai chili sauce as I initially thought, but a ketchupy chili sauce made by Heinz or Del Monte. To save time frozen meatballs can be substituted or you could keep your own frozen meatballs on hand. Make up a large batch of meatballs, cook, and pop them in the freezer on a cookie sheet. Once they are frozen remove from baking sheet and put in a large ziploc bag. Easy meals whenever you need them.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 – 8oz can jellied cranberry sauce
- ¾ cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs and minced onion. Roll into small cocktail sized meatballs.
- Bake in oven 20-25 minutes, shaking pan once to ensure even cooking.
- In slow cooker at low heat combine cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Add meatballs and allow to simmer for at least 1 hour before serving.
Adapted from All Recipes