Today’s the day. In case you don’t follow along on Facebook, today I am going to my very first Trader Joe’s. There isn’t one in my town, but Florida recently got 3 stores. Two of them are south of me and one north(ish). Although the Sarasota location is closer, I drove up to Gainesville last night to spend the night with my sorority little sister and experience Trader Joe’s for the first time. What a fun little Friday I have planned. Frozen foods, bruschetta, salsa, so much on my list. I’ve been asking for recommendations of products I should try, so let me know if you have any. Maybe I will still be at the store.
This Texas Caviar didn’t come from Trader Joe’s. It came from Lane’s kitchen, but it seems like something you could find there, doesn’t it? We make Texas Caviar on New Years Day to get our good luck black eyed peas or anytime we want to change it up from regular ole salsa.
This year for New Years Day mom and I had a competition to see whose Texas Caviar was the winner, and let me tell you this one was the winner. It packs a little kick, but is full of flavor and would make a great addition to your game day menu.
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (8oz) bottle zesty Italian dressing
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients. Cover and allow to chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.