I’ve never been a huge fan of chili. Really I could take it or leave it. Maybe it’s just that I’m never completely satisfied with my pots of chili. Always feeling like they could be better.
But I continue to experiment and try new recipes so I can make the best part of chili, the cornbread!
I don’t believe chili is complete without of big slice of cornbread. And while most of the time I make my tried and true homemade just like Jiffy cornbread (I think I have a recipe for that somewhere…) This time I decided to experiment with new flavors.
One of our favorite local BBQ restaurants serves a Sweet Potato Jalapeno Cornbread along with Cajun butter. OMG is it good. The sweet potato keeps the bread from drying out and imparts a delicious flavor.
Plus this cornbread ends up being gluten free (I’m pretty sure, but correct me if I’m wrong)
I was so excited to start experimenting at home. Of course I made a big pot of chili to go along with it. I think it was vegetarian chili this particular night. But the cornbread was for sure the star of the show.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1¾ cups + 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put 10" cast iron skillet in the oven to heat up.
- Wash potatoes, prick with fork, wrap in paper towels and microwave about 15 minutes. Once they are cool enough to handle mash into a large bowl. Add eggs, Greek yogurt, melted butter, and jalapenos. Combine together.
- In a separate large bowl mix together cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add sweet potato mixture to cornmeal and mix until just combined.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven, add cornbread and bake 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Approx cost per serving: $.79
Now that you have the best cornbread recipe around, try out one of these chilis to go with it. And this week #SundaySupper is having a Chili Cook-off. Follow the link at the bottom of the page to vote for your favorite recipe.
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.