Before I get to today’s recipe, these cute furballs have an announcement to make.
We found out a week and a half ago that our little peanut is a girl! By the looks on their faces the boys are thrilled to be adding a little pink to their lives.
I have been busy planning the pink, green, aqua, and yellow Lilly Pulitzer inspired nursery. I have plans of holding my teacher friends hostage this summer and helping me paint. There is lots of painting to be done from the walls to furniture, the summer can’t come soon enough. I’m ready to start now.
Now onto the food.
As you can tell from my recent recipes if it doesn’t stir fry in a pan in less than 10 minutes there is a good chance we aren’t eating it. Unless, of course, I somehow convince my husband to make dinner. Just yesterday I convinced him to make ground chicken teriyaki burgers, because I’m sorry, but that was not something I wanted to do. Talk about messy…
I came across this recipe for shrimp lettuce wraps and immediately added it to the menu plan.
Less than 10 minutes … check
Easy ingredients … check
Already had frozen shrimp … sold
While I was looking at my options for romaine heads I found some prewashed and bottoms cut off ready for lettuce wraps. Just pull them out of the package and stick your filling in them. They were about the same price as all the other romaine heads, so if you are looking to save a few minutes in the kitchen look for them at the store.
I try to eat healthy, but filling, low calorie meals. These fit the bill perfectly. Full of different vitamins and minerals they are great for those of use growing babies. The original recipe serves two but between my husband and I, there was still plenty leftover for lunch the next day.
- 1 head hearts of romaine
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ½ tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ lb salad shrimp, precooked
- ¼ cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl whisk together water, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large skillet saute garlic, bell pepper, green onion, and carrots in olive oil for 2 minutes until softened. Add shrimp, peanuts, cilantro, and sauce. Stir fry until all is heated through. Serve mixture in lettuce leaves.
Adapted from Fit, Fun & Delish
Approx cost per serving: $2.72