This may not be the prettiest dish, but anything looks better than the chickpea curry I posted earlier this year. With fresh spinach, tomatoes, and potatoes it is hard to stop eating and leave room for other dishes. The combination of spices is perfect.
I used my beloved cast iron skillet for searing the potatoes. It does a much better job dispersing and retaining heat than a non stick skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron consider adding one to your Christmas list. I make everything from cornbread to cookies in mine and they are perfect for going from stovetop to oven. After two years my Emeril Cast-Iron 10-Inch Skillet is still going strong.
- 6 medium gold potatoes, washed and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cubed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes to soften and begin cooking.
- In a heavy skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add potatoes and spices and stir to combine.
- As potatoes begin to crisp add garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add spinach.
- Allow spinach to wilt, tossing to combine, and serve.