Corn lovers, rejoice. Summer is finally coming. I’m not excited about the hot muggy weather, but the corn. I’m excited about the corn.
After our binge eating in Texas we wanted to just enjoy some lighter dinners. To me that means salads all week long. But I can get pretty bored with lettuce salads since I eat those for lunch most days also, so for filling but light dinners I turn to vegetable salads and grain salads.
Corn is coming into season and we are finally seeing my favorite vegetable on sale. Tossed with creamy avocado, mozzarella cheese, and grape tomatoes in a cilantro lime vinaigrette I was seriously in heaven eating this.
Hagin had a work dinner and it turns out he wasn’t a huge fan of it when I gave him some for lunch the next day. Usually I get upset when he doesn’t like something I made, but not this time. It meant more for me.
This will be a great salad to serve at summer BBQs or to bring along on picnics. Maybe just don’t invite your friends who love corn because then you won’t get a huge bowl to yourself.
- 3 ears of corn
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 avocados, cubed
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1½ cup cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel back the corn husk and remove all the silk. Replace husks. Roast the corn in the oven directly on the wire rack for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cob. In a large bowl mix together corn, tomatoes, mozzarella, and avocado.
- In a food processor or blender, blend lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro until mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste, start with about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, you can always add more salt to the salad when finished if necessary.
- Pour dressing over salad and carefully toss to combine.
Approx cost per serving: $1.39