I have been in a food rut lately. So I apologize for the lack of recipes recently, but I don’t feel like I have been very creative in the kitchen. We have reverted to pretty simple foods while we introduce Hadley to solids. One can only bake sweet potato fries so many ways and I’m not sure if you want to read about all of them. And I’m not going to deny her a baked sweet potato fry. The girl loves them.
Rice is still a little tricky for Hadley. All those individual kernels – very few make it into the mouth. We have tried a few different rice dishes and they usually end up all over the floor and into the mouths of our floor cleaners (aka the dogs). I made this Kung Pao Chicken right before we started solids, so Hadley didn’t get to enjoy it. It’s probably a little too salty and spicy for a baby just beginning solids, but hopefully she works up a good tolerance to heat because we are one spicy family.
I love Chinese food, but at restaurants I always find myself trying to choose between which dishes have my favorite vegetables. Sometime I end up ordering a sauce I don’t like as much because I liked the veggie combination better. But at home I can throw all my favorite veggies in with my favorite sauce and make it the perfect spiciness. And this was pretty dang perfect if I do say so myself. The only thing that could have made it better would be some bok choy and bamboo shoots, but I didn’t have either of those. Throw those in there and you have all my favorite Asian veggies in one bowl.
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (about ¾ lb), cut into cubes
- 1 large zucchini, quartered then chopped
- ½ large white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, skin removed and minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspon oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Whisk marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Add chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet, cook chicken on medium high heat for 3-5 minutes until almost fully cooked, set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil and cook zucchini, white onion, and bell pepper for 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes then return chicken to skillet. Add in peanuts and sauce and simmer 2-3 minutes while chicken finishes cooking and everything gets heated through. Add scallions right before serving.