This salad was inspired by the delicious Kale salad I had at Public House in Temecula, CA. After eating there I saw that salad in my dreams and knew I had to recreate it. The salad itself was pretty simple. Some kale, cabbage, red peppers, carrots and roasted peanuts.
The dressing was a little trickier. I had to search through a few different recipes to come up with this combination. It ended up being a little thicker than the dressing at Public House, but some additional water would thin it out more.
I made this for dinner one night and took the leftovers for lunch. Even with the dressing already mixed on the kale holds up great.
Make sure to chop up the kale into very small pieces. Having everything chopped and shredded makes this an easy salad to eat without a knife.
- 1 bunch curly kale
- ¼ head of purple cabbage
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Destem and chop kale into small pieces and shred cabbage on the large wholes of a box grater. Mix together. Top with red bell pepper, carrots, and peanuts.
- In a small food processor combine peanut butter, water, vinegar, molasses, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Serve the salad with the peanut dressing on the side.
Approx cost per serving: $1.75