All Photos by Caroline & Evan Photography
A few months ago my friend Nichole approached me about participating in a “Friendsgiving” she was organizing. Since I like Thanksgiving as much as the next person, I couldn’t resist. I mean just take a look at the menu below. Could anyone say no to those Thanksgiving dishes? So a few of us local Tampa/Orlando bloggers gathered to celebrate the upcoming holiday with a Friendsgiving of our own.
Friendsgiving is such a fun way to gather a bunch of friends and if everyone is assigned a dish category it really takes much of the burden off the host.
I brought a kale salad, surprised? Probably not, I love salads. This one was just perfect for fall. It’s light so you won’t fill up too much before the turkey, dressing, and all the other yummy sides; and packed full of healthy, good for you ingredients.
I love starting big eating marathons, like Thanksgiving or Christmas, with delicious salads. But honestly sometimes salads seem more trouble than they are worth. I aimed to create an easy to prepare, but still full of flavor salad. The dressing and squash roasting can be done the night before, leaving only the assembly for the morning. Easy enough, right?
- 1 cup Champagne wine vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 butternut squash; peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 10oz baby kale
- 1 Gala apple, cubed
- ½ cup roasted, salted pepitas
- ½ cup Craisins
- To make the dressing combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add olive oil and mustard, whisking to combine. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cubed butternut squash with olive oil and salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. Let cool.
- Assemble salad layer kale, cooled butternut squash, apples, pepitas and Craisins. Drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!
But before you go, don’t forget to make your Friendsgiving complete by checking out all the other dishes we shared.
Cheese Plate with Figs and Honey by Casa de Crews
Cranberry and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
Harvest Kale Salad by Supper for a Steal
Turkey with Dressing by Out of the Weeds
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta Caesar Salad by An Appealing Plan by Krayl Funch
Spinach Gratin by Casa de Crews
No Bake Pumpkin Pie by Happily Audrey
Bundt Cake with a Cream Cheese Drizzle by Melissa Creates
Pear Sangria by The Flair Exchange
A huge thank you to our vendors who helped to make this shoot possible!
Photos by: Caroline & Evan Photography
Farm Table/Driftwood Chargers/Gold Flatware/Salt and Pepper Shakers from Set Event Rentals
Mismatched Wood Chairs from The Reserve Vintage Rentals
Floral from Belle Fleuer Tampa
Invitations and Menu cards from Tiny Prints
Creative Loafing Space, Ybor City, FL