Note from Lane: Debra Ann, is a true Southern lady, be sure to check out her blog Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking for scrumptious Southern treats and what a great vegetarian option she has for you today!
Hi y’all! I’m Debra Ann a.k.a Granny from Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking. This week I have the pleasure of guest blogging over here at Supper for a Steal hosted by Lane . It’s an honor for me as I’ve just started food blogging and I get to share a few great tips and a little bit of the South with y’all. One of the easiest things I’ve found that works for me as a full time working granny is menu planning around my weekly Publix ad. It’s simple and centsible. And who doesn’t want both y’all?
I know it makes my job in the kitchen a heck of a lot easier and my family gets a delicious meal and I save a few pennies. This week the local Publix ad features great bargains for those of us on a budget(like most moms). Creating and planning your meals this way is simple and centsible. It’s also a great way to get your entire family involved! So what did Granny fix her bunch this week and stay within budget?. I kept it simple, centsible and yummy in your tummy too y’all. My bunch loves baked potatoes fully loaded and this week Publix has some great deals.
Here’s what y’all will need for Spuds on a Budge:
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1 bunch broccoli-chopped
- 1 container cooking cream
- 10oz. shredded cheese for topping (I used Four cheese Mexican blend)
- Wash and rinse potatoes,wrap in foil, poke a couple holes in foil to vent, bake 350 degrees about 45 minutes or until tender.
- While potatoes bake, stem broccoli until tender, but not soggy, use a steamer for the broccoli.
- Mix the cooking cream and steamed broccoli together.
- Once potatoes are done, remove, split down middle and scoop out, add to broccoli mixture, fill potato shells with potato and broccoli mixture. Top with shredded cheese and place under broiler until cheese melts.
- Serve with a side salad and a glass of iced tea and y’all be saying yummy in your tummy.