This week #SundaySupper has joined forces with American Family Insurance as they launch their Back to the Family Dinner Table Campaign
I’m sharing one of my favorite meals from when I was a kid. My mom would always ask for suggestions when putting together our weekly meal plan and I’m pretty sure I suggested Greek Meatballs every single week.
I also attribute this recipe to my love of rice. We would scoop out a big bowl of white rice, top it with meatballs and then cover it all in the delicious sauce. It was the best meal ever, served with a side of vegetables of course.
I’m a huge supporter of getting kids in the kitchen. Over the course of my summer cooking camp I noticed that most kids were pretty adventurous and would try almost everything we made together, even if it had an ingredients they claimed to dislike. By the end of each week I had converted a few to zucchini lovers.
Having children involved in the menu planning is a great first step to getting them helping out in the kitchen. Let them look through cookbooks and magazines to find recipes they want to try. Slowly work up to having them help prepare and once they are old enough even try making dinner on their own.
I think having confidence in the kitchen is a very important skill to have. Let them start experimenting with different tastes and flavors now and soon you might have a new family chef.
American Family Insurance is having a “Share Your Recipe” sweepstakes for 6 weeks with a weekly prize is a $100 Williams-Sonoma gift card plus a grand prize of a $500 Williams-Sonoma gift card. For details visit: http://www.amfam.com/familydinnertable/
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 peices of bread, crumbled
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup water
- 6oz tomato paste
- 2½ cups water
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Mix beef, onion, bread, garlic, egg, sugar, salt, cumin, pepper, and water together until well combined. For into small meat patties, about the size you would for a slider.
- Preheat large skillet (I use an electric skillet) to medium brown patties on each side. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to low mix in all sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add meatballs back to skillet and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Approx cost per serving: $2.15
- Asian Short Rib Tacos with Pineapple & Crunchy Slaw by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza by In The Kitchen With KP
- Beef & Potato Skillet Supper by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Braised Pork Chops and Sauerkraut by kimchi MOM
- Chicken a la King by Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken and Dumplings by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Crescent Squares by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Family Fave Lasagne by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peppered Steak by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Greek Meatballs (Soutzoukakia) by Supper For A Steal
- Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole by girlichef
- Hungarian Goulash by The Foodie Army Wife
- Linguine with fresh Tomatoes and Basil by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Meatloaf by Magnolia Days
- Peixe Asado no Forno | Fish Baked in the Oven by Family Foodie
- Pierogies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Straw and Hay Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swiss Steak by Curious Cuisiniere
- Veggie Mac and Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.