Are your New Year’s Eve plans set yet? This week the #SundaySupper crew is having a New Year’s Eve potluck with Emeril. We are featuring recipes from his cookbooks Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor and Potluck: Comfort Food with a Kicked-Up Attitude . I received a copy of the Kicked-Up Sandwiches book and one sandwich that immediately caught my eye, was the Three Cheese Veggie.
I, like a lot of people, have the resolution to eat healthier and exercise more. This sandwich is a great way to get in a lot of veggies in one meal. While it does have 3 different types of cheese, just ask the deli to slice it very thin, that way you get the taste, but not all the calories of a huge slice. Emeril has a recipe for his multigrain bread on page 301 of the Kicked-Up Sandwiches book and wow, does it sound amazing. I still haven’t quite gotten over my fear of baking breads so I went with a deli bought Italian whole wheat multigrain, but one day I would like to make his bread.
I only made one small change to Emeril’s original recipe, which was to leave off the cucumbers. I’m not a fan, so I added a little extra avocado. He also provides the recipe for a Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto on page 320, but since I already had store bought Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto in my fridge I just used that.
- 8 slices seeded or multigrain bread (page 301), toasted
- 1 cup Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto (page 320)
- ½ cucumber, sliced into ⅛ inch thick rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup alfalfa or green leaf sprouts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Arrange the toast slices in a single layer on a work surface. Spread 2 tablespoons of the Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Pesto on each slice of bread. On 4 of the slices arrange the cucumber in a single layer, covering as much of the bread as possible, and season with just a pinch of salt and pepper. Place a slice each of provolone, cheddar and Swiss cheese on top of the cucumber. Divide the avocado slices evenly among the sandwiches and season with salt and pepper. Spread 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomatoes evenly over the avocado.
- In a small mixing bowl, toss the sprouts with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread ¼ cup of the sprouts over the tomatoes on each sandwich. Complete the sandwiches with the remaining slices of toast.
And, did I mention one lucky reader will win a copy of Emeril’s cookbook.
To Enter the Giveaway You can earn up to three entries in the giveaway by doing the following:
Mandatory– Leave me a comment telling me your favorite sandwich AND you must participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat tonight at 7pm ET (leave your twitter handle in your comment).
Optional– (1) For an additional entry share this giveaway on your Facebook page and tag Supper for a Steal. (2) Tweet about this giveaway.
Please leave a separate comment for each entry.
Winners will be chosen via Random.org. Since it is required to participate in the twitter chat in order to be eligible for this giveaway I will be closing the entries Tonight December 30, 2012 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. This contest is open to US & Canada residents only.
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by The Meltaways
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Supper for a Steal
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Foodie Army Wife
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet
- Columbia Street Grinder by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Columbia Street Grinder by Momma’s Meals
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Disclosures: HarperCollins Publishers provided me with a copy of Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches book and the rights to distribute the recipe. The opinions and text are all mine. This post contains affiliate links.