When I was in Paris a few years ago, we ate at local Mediterranean that only served couscous. I think it was there I fell in love. We a big bowl of couscous topped with grilled vegetables delivered to our table and made a meal out of it. Now every time I have couscous I am reminded of that meal. I was ecstatic when couscous became more popular over here and we began to easily find it in our grocery stores. Now Publix frequently has the Far East brand on sale buy one, get one free.
My mom has been making this couscous salad for years. It is great as a side dish or a main course. When I’m running low on lunch ideas I like to make up a big bowl of this and we have easy lunches in minutes. Maybe you are looking for a little more protein in your dinner? In that case grill up a few chicken breasts you could chop them up and add to the salad or just eat along side this dish
Adapted from Mr. Food
- 2 cups water
- 1 10oz package couscous – discard seasoning pack
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1. In a medium saucepan boil water over medium-high heat. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes
2. Fluff the couscous with a fork and place it in a large bowl to cool.
3. After cooling add remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour to overnight.