This week’s #SundaySupper theme is kids in the kitchen, and although I don’t have any kids I still wanted to participate. Thinking about what I wanted to make that was kid friendly was fun. I thought back to when I was younger and my favorite and only seafood I would eat was coconut shrimp. Something about the coconut and batter just made me forget I was eating shrimp. For kids that refuse to eat shrimp you can also make coconut chicken strips following the same process. My big kid, my husband, isn’t a huge shrimp fan so he loved that I included the chicken strips for him with this meal.
If you would like to get your kids involved in the kitchen this is an easy meal for them to help with. These are baked not fried, so you don’t have to worry about oil burns. If they want to help coat the chicken and shrimp with the egg and coconut now is a good time to teach them about the importance of washing their hands after handling the raw meat. This job is probably best for an older kid to make sure they don’t accidently stick any fingers in their mouth before washing their hands.
Pretty much any vegetable will work well on the side with this from a simple salad to sauteed zucchini. If your children are more involved in the cooking process they could be more eager to try new foods. Bring them with you to the farmer’s market or grocery store to pick out some veggies that want to try.
Coconut Chicken and Shrimp
Adapted from Cooking Club
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup panko
- ¾ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- ½ lb large white shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Thai sweet chili sauce
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
2. In a shallow wide bowl whisk egg and milk. In another shallow wide bowl combine panko, coconut, and butter.
3. Coat chicken strips and shrimp in egg mixture, allowing any extra to run off. Then roll in coconut, covering completely. Place the shrimp aside and the chicken on the baking sheet.
4. Bake the chicken for 5-7 minutes, remove the tray from the oven and add the shrimp to continue cooking for 15 minutes.
5. While cooking combine the orange marmalade, cider vinegar, and chili sauce in a small bowl.
Gather kid friendly inspiration from these other wonderful #SundaySupper bloggers:
- Start your day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie