Last week was unofficial salad week in our house. We needed to detox after a long weekend full of eating. Each night we had a different salad. Most involved grilled chicken so at the beginning of the week we grilled up all the chicken and stored the extra in the fridge until we needed it. Since I will be sharing the BBQ chicken pizza recipe tomorrow which calls for precooked chicken prepare a second breast and grill it the same way as in this recipe. Store it in the fridge until ready to make the pizza.
While most of the salads I prepare use homemade dressings this one did not. When Marie’s or Ken’s dressings are on sale I always purchase a few blue cheese vinaigrettes and balsamic vinaigrettes. They are delicious and a great option when I don’t feel like having to clean up the blender. Both are on sale quite frequently at Publix, pick up a few bottles for the next time you want a quick salad.
Chicken, Mango, and Toasted Almond Salad
- 1 large chicken breast, butterflied all the way through to yield two cutlets
- 2 mangos
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 head of favorite lettuce (I used butter lettuce), washed and chopped
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper
1. Season chicken cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat for 5-6 minutes per side, until they reach and internal temperature of 160 degrees. Let rest 5 minutes and slice thin.
2. Toast almonds, heat oven (or toaster oven) to 350 degrees. Brown almonds for 5-8 minutes watching closely not to burn. Shake pan during to ensure even cooking.
3. Slice mangos (refer to this postfor how to cut)
4. In a large bowl combine lettuce, chicken, mango, and almonds, toss to combine. Dress with balsamic vinaigrette and divide evenly among 4 bowls.