Chicken, broccoli, and lots of cheese, this is my kind of comfort food. This takes a few more minutes than usual to put together because you are making a from scratch cheese sauce rather than using a condensed soup filled with who knows what. I cut the recipe in half and it was plenty for the two of us plus lunches. For a family of four you could split the recipe into two pans and freeze one. I would suggest freezing without the crumb topping though. When you need an easy weeknight meal allow the frozen dish to de-thaw all day in the refrigerator, add the crumb topping, and bake.
If you feel it needs a little more bulk to be considered a complete meal add a layer of cooked rice to the bottom. This will also help absorb the extra cheese sauce. Next time Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice packages are on sale I’m going to pick up a few and give this recipe another shot with brown rice on the bottom.
Chicken Broccoli Supreme
Adapted from Just Get off Your Butt and Bake
For the casserole:
- 1 lb frozen broccoli, microwave with a tbsp of water for 2 minutes
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts (or about 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (need 2 cups total with sauce)
- 50 Ritz crackers, crushed
- ¾ stick melted butter
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch whisked into ½ cup cold water
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a prepared 9X13 pan add the cooked broccoli and chicken, set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat (using the ingredients for the sauce) melt 1/3 cup butter. Add cornstarch mixture, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and milk. Whisk frequently and allow sauce to thicken.
4. Turn heat to low and add 1 cup cheese. Whisk until melted and combined. Pour sauce in pan over chicken and broccoli. Top with the additional 1 cup cheese.
5. Melt the ¾ stick butter, add poppy seeds, and crushed Ritz crackers and mix well. Sprinkle the crumbs over the grated cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.