Need an easy dish to prepare ahead of time? Look no further. This Chicken and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole is your answer. I prepped this at home before going to dog sit at my parents for a few days. It was much easier to just bring along the casserole than trying to bring all the ingredients and make sure I hadn’t forgotten anything. This can be made two or three days in advance and stored covered in the fridge. You could also probably freeze it, but I haven’t tried. When you are ready to cook the casserole allow it to sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes to insure your pan doesn’t crack going from cold to hot.
I had you purchase a few of the split chicken breasts this week. They are on sale, but do have bones. We are going to make a batch of shredded chicken in the crockpot and use it for this recipe and the quesadilla recipe coming up. Feel free to cook up as much as you would like. I always like to have cooked shredded chicken on hand. Since these breasts have bones in them, be sure to remove and discard all bones.
If you need to make a casserole for a friend or family member don’t give them another lasagna! Make this Chicken and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole to spice up their night.
Chicken and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Adapted from Homemaking Challenged
- 2 (10 3/4oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10oz) can mild Rotel
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilies, drained
- 10 (6in) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup prepared black beans (or about 1/2 can drained)
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix together the soup, Rotel, and drained green chilies. Cut the tortillas into small strips.
2. In a prepared 8×8 glass dish layer 1/3 of the tortillas on the bottom. Layer ½ of the chicken and ½ of the black beans, then pour ½ of the soup mixture on top.
3. Repeat with a layer of tortillas, chicken, beans, and the rest of the soup mixture.
4. Top with the remaining tortilla strips, cover, and for 40 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and set oven to broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.