My eyes are burning as I write this, I spent the last 6 hours adding every ingredients, of every recipe to the “Browse by Ingredients” page. I’m hoping it will help make the site easier to scan through old recipes.
I have also updated the search bar to a much more accurate search that will return the results you are looking for rather than wading through pages and pages of useless results.
It’s all starting to come together!
We recently hosted a church dinner for about 10 other people and I had the wild idea to make paella. Now I had never made paella before but a few weeks prior I purchases a paella pan on sale at HomeGoods. When I was coming up with the menu for our dinner I wanted to stick to a Spanish theme, the other couples brought a Spanish salad, olive and cheese plate, and dessert. Paella ended up being a great thing to make because it easily feeds a crowd. In fact my husband is still eating frozen leftovers.
Since I had never made it I started experimenting a few nights before and this shrimp and chicken paella was the results of my experimentation.
I ended up making two paellas for our dinner because some people weren’t to thrilled with the idea of just seafood. Chicken and chorizo in one and mussels, clams, shrimp, chicken and chorizo in the other. Paella makes for a fairly frugal meal for a crowd, it’s mainly rice. And seafood is pretty cheap. Mussels can be found around $1.99-$3.99 per pound, shrimp can be bought on sale for decent prices, throw some chicken in for more cheap protein and a little bit of chorizo for flavor.
For our dinner I got all of the prep work done and started cooking the paellas out over the grill flame about 20 minutes before everyone was supposed to arrive. They simmered while we enjoyed our appetizers and I got to enjoy a stress free evening with dinner already completed before anyone arrived.
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic clove, divided and minced
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- generous pinch of saffron threads
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ lb large shrimp, peeled and devained
- 1 link of Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups short to medium grain rice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Combine parsley, lemon juice, ½ tablespoon olive oil, and 1 garlic clove in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine water, chicken stock and saffron threads and bring to a low simmer.
- Heat ½ tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat in paella pan or cast iron skillet. Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes. Remove to a plate, add chorizo and cook 1 minutes, remove to the plate. Then add shrimp and cook for 1 minutes and remove to the plate. The meats will finish cooking with the rice.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add onion and pepper. Saute and cook 5-7 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes, paprika and 2 cloves of garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add rice, stir to coat with oils and cook 1 minute. Add parsley mixture, broth, chicken, chorizo, and peas. Allow to cook undisturbed for 15-20 minutes until water is almost evaporated. Nest shrimp into rice and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered with a towel for 5 minutes.
Approx. cost per serving: $3.50