This Cuban Braised Beef is an easy crockpot take on Ropa Vieja. The best trick I have learned cooking with a crockpot is you can almost always assemble it ahead of time. If your mornings are hectic, chop the veggies and place the meat on top the night before. Store the crock covered in the fridge and in the morning just drop the crock into the cooker and set the heat. It makes crockpot meals that much easier when you prepare them the night before.
Store leftover rice and meat for burritos in microwavable safe containers. You will then be able to prepare two quick meals from one simple prep.
Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers
Adapted from Real Simple
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes, drained, or I used 2 (14.5oz)
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2-2.5lb bottom round beef roast
- 1 pkg yellow rice
- 1 avocado, chopped
- fresh chopped cilantro
1. In your crockpot combine drained tomatoes, peppers, onion, oregano and cumin. Stir to combine.
2. Place beef on top, cover, and cook 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
3. Shred meat with two forks, removing fat, and place back in the crockpot. Stir meat and vegetables together.
4. Turn crockpot to warm and allow meat to simmer in juices. Begin to cook rice according to package directions.
5. Chop avocado and cilantro and serve on top of meat and rice.