I’m no stranger to meatless meals. My lunches are almost always meatless and I only have meat for dinner maybe twice a week. Most of the time my meatless meals are pretty healthy, but not today friends!
I made flautas, and I fried them!
There are plenty of veggies stuffed inside those little fried rolls, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking veggies inside fried tortillas are healthy.
I was perusing Pinterest one day and saw a recipe for fried black bean and avocado burritos. This sounded like a winning combination which I thought would be even better snack sized.
The black bean and avocado flauta was born. The term flauta or taquito seems to be used interchangeably often on food blogs, but after a little research it looks like fried flour tortillas are flautas while if these were in corn tortillas it would be more appropriate to refer to them as taquitos. I just call them delicious.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados, chopped
- ½ cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 12-14 fajita size flour tortillas
- canola/vegetable oil for frying
- Saute bell pepper, onion, and garlic in ½ tablespoon of oil for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, until soft. Add cumin and salt and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine vegetables, black beans, and avocados. Lightly mix to combine.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling into the center of each tortillas, top with about ½ tablespoon shredded cheese, and roll up. Place seam side down in the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes turn and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until browned and crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate to cook and drain. You should be able to fit about 4 in the skillet at a time.
If you have leftovers these store well in the refrigerator until the next day, just pop them in the toaster oven to reheat
Approx cost per serving: $1.70
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.